Friday, January 2, 2009

January 1, 2009 - Day of World Peace


In addition to being New Year's day, a day of pork, sauerkraut, and football, Catholic's around the globe celebrated a holy day, January 1st was the "Feast of Mary, Mother of God", which is a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church. In addition Pope Benedict XV has declared January 1st a World Day of Peace. Like many Catholics I attended Mass, and my local parish priest read us part of a letter from November of 1948. This speech is as relevant today as it was over fifty years ago. I was so moved by it, I had to search out the entire speech, and wanted to share it with everyone out there in the burghosphere. I am not sure if we will ever see world peace?


Speech by General Omar N. Bradley
Boston, Massachusetts
November 10, 1948

No comments: